
Last friday I was in the member bank at work counting up change and doing transactions. It can be one of the more tedious aspects of my job and I was feeling a little tired. I was plugging along but felt distracted and thinned out. Then suddenly a strong memory, so real I honestly tasted it in my mouth, came to my minds eye...

I was in Girona, Catalunya with Marco walking with my arms out, balancing, on top of the old roman wall in the Jewish quarter. Tuffs of yellow-green grass and tough weeds poke out of the sandy stone blocks, thirsty from a long dry summer. The wind is cool and fresh, bringing the first hints of fall and the sun overhead is so warm in the bright blue sky...
It was strange and beautiful for me to re-live that moment so vividly. I tend to remember things in a fuzzy more general way and not so piercing and exact.
That moment, I realize now, was one of those instants when I felt at ease in the world... when things are so simple and beautiful. Standing between hundreds of years of human livlihood and the open warm sky, I was struck in a sort of easy balance much bigger than myself. Girona is a beautiful city, but it isn't one of the areas of Spain that I know very well. I was just there on a little vacation after visting my family in Catalunya shortly before moving back here. Funny....
Anyway, it was a little breath of fresh air and nostalgia to pull on my heartstrings and shake me out of a routine afternoon.
.jpg)
(p.s. I couldn't find our own photos anywhere, so i got these off the web... maybe I'll find them and post them soon)
1 comment:
Hey Laia,
Your blog reminded me of the trip my husband and I took to Spain with the Wind Orchestra I play with. We went in October of 2007. Girona was our favorite town we visited, it's so beautiful!
Post a Comment