Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Roscón de Reyes


Jan. 6th was Three Kings Day and in Spain it is celebrated as the big gift exchanging day of the Christmas holidays. There is also a typical breakfast bread called Roscón de Reyes and this year I decided to make one. I wanted to post the recipe but really I didn't follow one very well. I looked at several and then worked with what I had. The recipes I found were also all using liters and grams- damn the metric system! No, I actually consider it a superior system to our mismatched inherited measuring units but it is very frustrating when you want to follow some comfort food recipe and can't find the right measuring tools. I went through that in Spain when I first arrived as I had neglected to take a set of measuring spoons and cups at first. It's just strange that we measure flour by volume while in other countries they use weight. How much does a cup of flour weight anyway? I also had trouble with yeast because I was used to the little pellets they sell here in hermetically sealed envelopes in the baking aisle whereas in Spain they sell them in little white crumbly-moist cubes that must be refrigerated and are in the bakery department or in actual bakeries (panaderías).

Anyway, the ingredients are...
For the starter dough: (masa madre)
milk (I used almond milk)
flour
bread yeast
You mix this and leave it a few hours

Then later:
More flour
more milk
eggs
butter
brown sugar
zest of orange or lemon
agua de azahar (honestly, I'm not sure what this is... I left it out)
anis (would have been nice but I didn't have any and didn't want to go back out)
dried fruit (I chose organic papaya, mango and dates, probably not traditional)
I added pecans (not traditional)
All the ingredients were organic and I used half whole wheat half white flour. It turned out much more decent than I feared as I did a lot of estimating and substituting ingredients.
Inside the Roscón you put a little surprise figure and a bean. The person that gets the prize has good luck all year- Marco got it in his very first slice! The bean means you have to pay for next years Roscón. Someone from my work got it when I took the leftovers in the next day- hee hee :)

5 comments:

Marcoiris said...

Pues yo que lo he probao tengo que decir que estaba buenísimo, casi profesional. Gracias por el esfuerzo de hacerlo Laia, un besin :o)

pd. shanti me acaba de decir que el no lo ha probado todavía ;)

Lunatrix said...

Qué pinta más rica, me mandais un cachito plis? ;o)

kari said...

I looked it up for you Laia. It's orange blossom water.

laiabird said...

Gracias Marco, siempre dandome animos... y si, Luna, te mando un cachin y lo tomamos con te canadiense. Alli en general lo toman con leche y azucar, no?
Hi Kari, thanks for stopping by :) I wonder where I could get orange blossom water here in Florida? With so much citris around you'd think there would be some. Something to explore...

Adela said...

Wow, what a beautiful cake!!
The comment is a little late since it's about 9 months later, but, hey, it's better late than never. I grew up with 'roscones de reyes' pero en Catalunya los llamamaos "tortell de reis". This one was beautifull!!!
Where did you get your wonderful baking genes?!
:) MOM